Old Hockey Program Ads

I've been seriously collecting hockey paraphenallia for at least two decades now. A large part of my hockey den's collection (yes there is an actual Nitzy's hockey den) is old programs. As well as the great articles and stats in these books, I really like the old advertisements that most often pertain to the game. For a while now, I've been wanting to post some of the good ones. I finally got around to scanning some of my faves.



This one is from a 1955 Saskatoon Quakers program. The Quakers were a charter member of Western Hockey League, and survived until 1959. This ad is for The Canadian Bank of Commerce and features a really cool ink hatched drawing.
This one's from a Feb. 1961 Maple Leafs program and was for the old Shirriff Hockey coins. These cool coins were issued for a few years and came in both plastic and metal.

This is another from the Western Hockey League, this one a 1968 Vancouver Canucks issue. It's an ad for a jewellery store in Vancouver called Miller's.
Another from a 1961 Leafs program, a really cool one for Maple Leaf Cleaners at phone number EM. 3-7411. Ahh simpler times.
A nice ad for The Canadian Bank of Commerce in a 1951 Leafs program. A player checking out how little money he's got in the bank in the good ol' days.


This one's from a 1931 Leaf advert for Spalding Sports located at 241 Yonge Street. I think that address is a Taco Bell now.
From the same program in 1930 for CCM skates. This is one of my favourite ad designs, I may have to put it on a T-shirt.
Here, we get into the 1970's ad style with a WHA Chicago Cougars program. I'm not too sure why this goalie is making a hard turn. I've never seen a goalie do this but I like the look of it.
Hopefully I can get around to scanning some more of these great old ads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"