45 Years ago today...and counting.



I'll be 85 years old if it takes another 45 for the Toronto Maple Leafs to win a Stanley Cup. I certainly hope it doesn't take that long. Below are a few quotes from the Montreal Gazette and Canadian Press of May 3, 1967 after Toronto had beaten Montreal for their last Stanley Cup.

  • "You've got Expo so let us have the Stanley Cup."- Leaf playoff points leader Jim Pappin joking with Montreal writers after the game.

  • "I can't fault my players for a game like this. They worked hard but the puck wouldn't go in." - Canadien coach Toe Blake

  • "The Old Boys A.C. played pretty well tonight. It was a great team effort." - Leaf coach,  Punch Imlach

  • "I wanted all our old guys to enjoy this one, this may have been their last game together." - Imlach on why injured and unable to play Johnny Bower was dressed as well as back-up goalie Al Smith.

  • "We might not have outplayed them but we certainly outscored them."- Leaf Captain George Armstrong

  • "This is the toughest series I ever lost."- Toe Blake

  • "I don't think that I'll even turn up at the office this Thursday."- Punch Imlach commenting on the fact the Leafs Cup win was their fourth Tuesday in a row with a playoff victory while losing 4 consecutive Thursdays in a row.

  • "Maybe we had better teams in those years (1962,1963,1964) but this win gives me a greater deal of satisfaction. We kept coming back against both Chicago and Montreal."- Dave Keon, Conn Smythe Trophy winner.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"